Update Applicable to:
All employers with 26 or more employees working within the geographical boundaries of Allegheny Country
On September 14, 2021, Allegheny County Council approved a new paid sick leave ordinance.
What are the details?
The ordinance’s requirements are effective immediately, and the remainder of the ordinance takes effect 90 calendar days following the county’s posting of the notice information for employers. Additionally, the ordinance does not apply to independent contractors, state and federal employees or certain seasonal employees.
The ordinance mandates that employees accrue one hour of paid sick time for every 35 hours worked within the geographical boundaries of Allegheny County, unless the employer provides a faster accrual rate. Employees may accrue up to 40 hours of paid sick leave in a calendar year (any regular and consecutive 12-month period as defined by the employer) and may use the time:
- for the diagnosis, care, or treatment (including preventative care) of the employee’s own mental or physical illness, injury, or health condition; or
- to care for a family with a mental or physical illness, injury or health condition or, who needs medical diagnosis, care or treatment (including preventive care) of same; or
- if the employee’s place of business is closed by order of a public official due to a public health emergency or an employee’s need to care for a child whose school or place of care is closed for that reason; or
- to care for a family member when it has been determined by the health authorities or a health care provider that the family member’s presence in the community would jeopardize the health of others because of the family member’s exposure to a communicable disease, whether or not the family member has actually contracted the communicable disease.
The county ordinance contains notice requirements for employers as well as requirements for employees requesting paid sick time. Employers have the option of permitting employees to:
- carry over accrued paid sick time so long as the total paid sick time available does not exceed 40 hours per year; or
- front load the 40 hours, in which case no carry-over policy would be necessary. Employees begin to accrue paid sick leave at the commencement of employment and are entitled to use accrued paid sick time beginning on the 90th day of employment.
For more information, please see the links below:
What do employers need to do?
Employers should review the ordinance and their current policies on leave to make any applicable changes to stay compliance with the new ordinance. Vensure will provide an update when the county provides the posting notice information.