Update Applicable to:
All employers in the state of Massachusetts
On December 21, 2021, Governor Charlie Baker announced that the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) advises that all residents, regardless of vaccination status, wear a mask or face covering when indoors (and not in their own homes).
Download Our Free Benefits Guide
Download our Benefits Brochure to see how we can provide Fortune 500-level benefits at a fraction of the cost.Download Guide
What are the details?
The DPH particularly urges this recommendation for people who have a weakened immune system, are at increased risk for severe disease because of their age or an underlying medical condition, or live with someone who has a weakened immune system, are at increased risk for severe disease, or are unvaccinated. Governor Baker stated during his press conference he has “no interest” in mandating masks, but local government can pursue alternative options.
The following persons are exempt from the face coverings requirement:
- Children under five years old
- Persons for whom a face mask or covering creates a health risk or is not safe because of any of the following conditions or circumstances:
- The face mask or covering affects the person’s ability to breathe safely;
- The person has a mental health or other medical diagnosis that advises against wearing a face mask or covering;
- The person has a disability that prevents them from wearing a face mask or covering; or
- The person depends on supplemental oxygen to breathe.
Masks are still required regardless of vaccination status for the following settings:
- On Public and Private Transportation
- Healthcare Facilities
- Congregate Care Facilities
- Emergency Shelter Programs
- Houses of Correction, Department of Correction Prisons, Jails, and Other Correctional Facilities
- Healthcare and Day Services and Programs Operated, Licensed, Certified, Regulated, or Funded by the Commonwealth, including the Executive Office of Health and Human Services or one of its agencies
- Home Healthcare Workers
Schedule a Call
Learn more about VensureHR and how we can make an impact on your business.Contact VensureHR
For more information, please see the links below:
State of MA COVID-19 Mask Requirements
Winter Advisory Regarding Face Coverings
What do employers need to do?
Employers should review the information provided in the links above to ensure they are up to date on the latest advisory and COVID-19 mask requirements.