As employees bring forth their invaluable talents, skills, and time, they seek not only professional growth but also a rewarding experience within their organization. Building strong relationships with employees is crucial for enhancing their overall experience in the workplace—this goes beyond 1:1 conversation. When team members feel valued, supported, and connected throughout the entire employee lifecycle with their leader, they are more likely to be engaged, productive, and loyal.
How can you help cultivate strong relationships and enhance employee experiences in the workplace?
Leaders can do the following:
- Delegate responsibilities and give autonomy in work assignments.
- Avoid micromanaging and empower team members to make decisions within their roles.
- Follow through and close loops on items you are working on for your team.
Foster open communication
- Encourage regular feedback, both individual and team wide.
- Communicate clearly regarding expectations and goals.
- Engage in regular performance feedback to ensure everyone is on the same page.
Support connections and collaboration
- Foster a collaborative work environment by encouraging teamwork and cross-functional support.
- Provide platforms and tools for easy collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Every employee is unique and different due to many external factors and experiences. As a leader, it is important to acknowledge this and continuously work to learn and be inquisitive.
Here are a few suggestions to get started:
- Lead with a diverse mindset.
- Be inquisitive and learn about many cultures other than your own.
- Help employees feel safe to learn, safe to fail, and safe to belong.
- Encourage, and create the space for inclusive contribution and process improvement ideas.
- Embrace feedback!
Schedule a Call
Learn more about VensureHR and how we can make an impact on your business.Contact VensureHR
Cultivating strong relationships with employees is a continuous effort that requires genuine care and attention. By investing in these strategies, you can create a positive work environment where employees feel valued, supported, and motivated to contribute their best. Investing in strong relationships will enhance employee experiences and contribute to the overall success of your organization.
Remember that happy and engaged employees are the foundation of a thriving workplace.
Beatrice Runyan, AVP Client Development
HR Strategist| Compliance Expert | Employee Engagement Ambassador