Diversity, inclusivity, and sensitivity in the workplace go beyond a single, once-a-year training session. It is about building a foundation of emotional intelligence, resources, and continuous training year-round. Emotional intelligence is an individual’s ability to perceive, understand, and manage one’s feelings and emotions, and consists of self-awareness, self-control, intrinsic motivation, empathy, and interpersonal skills. Higher emotional intelligence has shown a positive correlation with job satisfaction and job performance. Investing in continued emotional intelligence training can elevate employee productivity and job performance.
Understanding How Emotional Intelligence Impacts the Workplace
First and foremost, emotional intelligence in the workplace improves:
- Emotional Stability
- Emotional Intelligence Ability
- Cognitive Ability
- Job Performance
These areas of emotional intelligence allow employees to:
- Respond with compassion
- Practice active listening and participate in open, honest dialogues
- Develop interpersonal relationships outside of the workplace
- Adapt to changing work priorities and situations
- Maintain composure under pressure
- Implement creative problem-solving for resolving conflicts
Jumpstart your journey to higher emotional intelligence by watching Robin Paggi, our HR Training and Development expert, “Increasing Emotional Intelligence,” webinar to learn more about incorporating sensitivity in the workplace or HR-related topics.